Businessbooksummariesreview.com

Crime

What is crime?Why don't most people commit crimes? The Webster Dictionary defines crime as an act that subjects the doer to legal punishment; the commission or omission of an act specifically forbidden or enjoined by public law.The text has a similar definition that says "crime is the commission of an act prohibited by criminal law or the failure to act as required by criminal law (pg 37)".The key words in the Webster definition are legal punishment.This keeps most people from committing crimes.Although it is the key reason for people not to commit crimes, there are other reasons as well that go along with legal punishment, which are, "people and relationships such as family, friends, the text calls these examples "outer controls".
The percentage for people who don't commit crimes is 97%, the number one reason for that being, fear of law enforcement.You have your to types of people in society those who commit crime and those who don't.The other 3% have little understanding of what's right and what's wrong.Some do know right from wrong but chose a shorter route to reach their goals.According to the text "when pursuing goals, some of us do what's right by the standards and expectations of society and some of us use other means than those considered appropriate by society"(pg 93).Does the other 3% fear law enforcement?Do they care about their family and friends?Since these are the reasons people don't commit crime you might assume they don't think about these things while committing crimes.
Relationships with friends and family a.k.a. "outer controls" play a major role in the thinking process for committing a crime.At least it's what the 97% of people think of before doing something irrational.You can't say everyone who commits a crime doesn't think of the friends and family.For example you have the

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *